Friday 20 May 2011

My First EVER Blog Post :)

Hello all in the blogworld.  I have finally taken the plunge and decided to start my own blog.  I have always been rather resistant to these kinds of things as I am a little bit of a technophobe, and I don’t really get why anyone would want to know about little old me - I lead a very boring life!!  BUT as I am now entering a new and hopefully less boring phase of my life, I have decided to give it a whirl.

So you may be wondering what this “new phase” is.  Well I have rather bravely, if not foolishly, decided to set up my own clothing business.  It is called Betty Blue’s and concentrates on what I love most in fashion; Vintage styled/Retro/Repro type clothing.  Yeah yeah I know already been done right?  There are heaps of brilliant companies out there creating vintage inspired and reproduction clothing, and I am an eager customer of them.  The last thing I would want is to over saturate a market that has already been captured, and quite frankly I don’t have the energy to compete!  So what else is left in the retro/vintage area that hasn’t been captured?

Well I could have gone down another route which is also a HUGE passion of mine, and just so happens to be what I have a degree in, which is lingerie design.  But again there are soooo many great companies who do that already – some of which I have worked for and are good friends of mine (check out Kiss Me Deadly, my personal favourite).  So again I wouldn’t want to compete in that market as I don’t want to annoy anyone, and it has already been done.

There can’t be any other avenues to go down right?  WRONG!  I believe the loungewear market has been massively overlooked.  When one thinks of loungewear one might think of sweat pants and hoodies.  These are personal favourites of mine..........embarrassingly am wearing both right now....it’s cold!!!  But for a “Vintage Girl” (I use this term lightly) it’s not the most glamorous of looks.

As looking like a 1930’s/1940’s woman has seen a surge in popularity (and other eras of Vintage clothing) this has seen a price hike on Vintage clothing.  Therefore if I’m paying ££££ for a gorgeous Ceil Chapman or Horrockses dress, I don’t want to ruin it wearing it around the house when I’m cooking, cleaning or lounging on the sofa - which I do so like to do on a horrid winters day!  Vintage clothing can also be quite fragile and I have 5 dogs so cotton dresses are not always practical!

My lovely logo - as designed by the equally lovely Jack, thanks Jack !!!


And so Betty Blue’s was born www.bettybluesloungerie.com yes you did read that correctly!  Loungerie!  It’s the new “fashiony” word for loungewear that is sort of loosely lingerieish like negligee’s or soft bras, that sort of thing (I learnt this whilst working at an ever so swish lingerie boutique in London). More will come about what type of loungewear items I will be producing. Feel free to take a look at the website, although there isn’t anything much there at the moment.  Betty Blue’s grand opening won’t be until September where I have a stall at the Goodwood Revival event in the Market Area.  I am frantically trying to finish of patterns and samples so that I can have garments manufactured – otherwise there won’t be anything to sell haha.  But I’m a glass half full girl, so everything will get done in time.

So until September, I am going to have a stab at this blog malarkey and try and reach as many people I can, passing on things I find interesting and any little insights into what is going on at Betty HQ (mainly a lot of tea drinking and swearing at my sewing machine and computer!!!).  It may also be interesting for anyone who might be thinking of starting up their own business – I have certainly learnt from other people’s mistakes in their businesses.

So until next time.   
Toodle pip

Betty xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment